GnuPG 2.1 - import of secret key fail with IPC error

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Sun Oct 7 15:34:16 CEST 2012

Hi,

This might have been reported before, but just a heads up regarding the
move to gpg-agent store of keys in GnuPG 2.1 . Ignoring the warnings of
it being a development version (I'm not sure how stable 2.1 is becoming
now, so how much emphasis should be put on this warning? anyhow, this is
on a secure box and its the only way to properly test it)

When trying to import one of my more non-standard (in the sense that it
is a 15360 bits RSA/ElGamal key pair) I get "Too much data for IPC
layer" as shown in #Snippet 1# below. The key is fully functional in
GnuPG 1.4 and 2.0.

Any hint on where to start debugging this? From what I can tell this
would be in libassuan?

##
Snippet 1
##

$ gpg2 --import sec_largekey.asc

gpg: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
gpg: It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
gpg: used in a production environment or with production keys!
gpg: key 7EF326AE43E67CF7: "Kristian Fiskerstrand (Large key)
<kf at kfwebs.net>" not changed
gpg: key 7EF326AE43E67CF7/7EF326AE43E67CF7: error sending to agent: Too
much data for IPC layer
gpg: error building skey array: Too much data for IPC layer
gpg: Total number processed: 3
gpg:              unchanged: 1
gpg:       secret keys read: 3

--
----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
----------------------------
Bene diagnoscitur, bene curatur
Something that is well diagnosed can be cured well
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/