fleshing out the XML result of gpgme-tool's KEYLIST command

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Thu Sep 20 19:13:18 CEST 2012

The current keylist XML of gpgme-tool is not very useful:

  S: OK GPGME-Tool 1.3.1-git62bbe58 ready
  C: ARMOR true
  S: OK
  C: KEYLIST 2F73DE2E
  S: D key:B2EDBE0E771A4B8708DD16A7511AEDA64332B6E3%0A
  S: OK
  C: RESULT 2F73DE2E
  S: D <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>%0A\x00
  S: D <gpgme>%0A\x00
  S: D   <keylist-result>%0A
  S: D     <truncated value="0x0" />%0A
  S: D   </keylist-result>%0A
  S: D </gpgme>%0A\x00
  S: OK
  C: BYE
  S: OK closing connection
  disconnecting

This is using my gpgme with the INPUT/OUTPUT patch [1], but I haven't
touched the `result_keylist_to_xml` function.

I'd like the result to include all the information about the requested
keys (although it doesn't need to recurse through subkeys).  I could
write up a patch to create this XML, but I'd like an estimate of how
likely it would be that the patch would get accepted, considering:

1. My INPUT/OUTPUT patch has been languishing for five months.
2. Deciding on and XML representation for keys may require a lot of
   bike-shed-level decisions.
3. Having useful XML would be nice, but is not critical to my pygrader [2].

So perhaps it would be better for me to wait and let someone closer to
the core handle this?  I could also let this sit, and bring it up
again in six months when people might have more time…

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.devel/17104
[2]: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pygrader/