pinentry for Android questions

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Sep 24 12:25:27 CEST 2012

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 04:23, hans at guardianproject.info said:

> I'm back on this and still not quite seeing how to do it.  From what
> I've seen, it seems that gpg-agent executes pinentry, then communicates
> with it via stdin/stdout.  This is not possible in Android because you

Right.  Pretty standard thing.

> cannot directly launch a GUI program in Android from the terminal.

What is the reason?  It is kind of funny that the whole GnuPG system
works nicely on Windows Mobile 6.x (the old one) but you can't make it
work on a free software Linux Platform.

> I have no idea how to do that, all of the existing pinentry programs
> seem to work the exact same way. Any pointers?

I would first investigate how to start a GUI application i the first
place (without the Java crap).  If you really can't find a solution the
common workaround for such problems are daemon: Start a daemonized
pinentry version and use a stub pinentry program which is called by
gpg-agent and then communicates with the pinentry-daemon via
whatever-mechanism you like.

Salam-Shalom,