SOCKS4A/SOCKS5 proxy support?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Sep 24 21:22:48 CEST 2012

David Shaw:
> On Sep 24, 2012, at 6:11 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 01:43, jacob at appelbaum.net said:
>>
>>> Are there any plans to add support to gpg for SOCKS5? Would such
>>> a thing be a welcome patch?
>>
>> Does Curl support SOCKS?  Then GnuPG should benefit from it
>> directy. Well unless you are talking about Windows, where we don't
>> build with Curl support.
>
> If your curl is recent enough (7.21.7 and later), then you can set
> the proxy to something like "socks5://your-proxy-here.example.com"
> and it should do the right thing.

That is great news.

I guess we'd want a way to set the SOCKS proxy in GnuPG and then
properly set the SOCKS argument in the curl library usage. If that was
done, I guess we'd have SOCKS support on all platforms other than
Windows - which I think is a reasonable start.

Is there anything I should consider before getting started on a patch?

All the best,
Jake