[GnuPG] DCO for Werner Koch

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Mon Apr 1 04:26:26 CEST 2013

On 2013-03-29 at 09:34 -0400, W. Trevor King wrote:
> Can you point me towards a
> license that qualifies as “open source” but not as “free software” (or
> vice versa)?

I think that when we say "open source license", there would be two
meanings:

  (1) OSI-approved Licenses
  (2) Licenses that comply with the Open Source Definition

The set of #1 is smaller than one of #2.

Speaking for major licenses, I think that Original BSD license or Ruby
license are in #2, but not in #1.  Those are free software licenses,
too.

There are only minor licenses in #1 which are not free software
licenses.  I found two: NASA Open Source Agreement 1.3 and Sybase Open
Watcom Public License version 1.0.

Other than licenses, you can see [0] for the differences.

[0] Section "Practical Differences between Free Software and Open Source"
    in "Why Open Source misses the point of Free Software".
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html