Pinentry makes it awfully easy to snoop all passwords entered by the user

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 29 09:46:46 CEST 2013

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:12, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> released afaik), the agent is designed to not transmit passwords to gpg
> itself at all; instead, the agent hangs on to the keys and only
> asymmetric crypto challenges and responses are communicated between the
> agent and the gpg process.  So if you're really only concerned about

Right.  However, the pinentry is still used to ask for the passphrase or
PIN.  As a separate process it also communicates via pipes.

> but basically: if your adversary has root on your machine or has full
> control over your local account even, there isn't a way to use gpg (or

Right.  As soon as you can ptrace a process it is really easy to figure
out anything.  An adversary might also use gdb to grab interesting
things.  I do that all the time during debugging.

Protecting one from herself is not possible.

Salam-Shalom,