Pinentry-mode

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Fri Feb 8 11:06:46 CET 2013

Werner Koch:
> Hi,
>
> I just commited some changes to GnuPG and GPGME to support using GPG
> without a Pinentry:
>
>     This new features allows to use gpg without a Pinentry.  As a
>     prerequisite the agent must be configured to allow the loopback
>     pinentry mode (option --allow-loopback-pinentry).  For example
>
>       gpg2 --pinentry-mode=loopback FILE.gpg
>
>     may be used to decrypt FILE.gpg while entering the passphrase on the
>     tty.  If batch is used, --passphrase et al. may be used, if
>     --command-fd is used, the passphrase may be provided by another
>     process.  Note that there are no try-again prompts in case of a bad
>     passphrase.
>
> GPGME now sports the function gpgme_set_pinentry_mode.  See
> gpgme/src/gpgme-tool.c on how to use it.
>
> I hope that this feature will make it easier to use GnuPG 2.1 on
> non-desktop machines.  I have only tested decryption and signing and
> thus other parts may not yet work.
>

> Salam-Shalom,
>
>    Werner

Hi Werner,

This looks like great stuff :)

I don't suppose you have some example/tests demonstrating the
command-[fd,file] functionality?

If not, then am I right to conclude that all the possible messages a
client program would receive from gpg2 would be those in doc/DETAILS in
the "Remote control" section?

~abel