--log-file ignored in gnupg master?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jan 28 15:35:28 CET 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:11, abel at guardianproject.info said:
> The following command doesn't do what I expect it to do:
>
>    gpg2 --debug-level expert --log-file ./debug.log --homedir . --list-keys
>
> I expect gpg2 to spit all the data I'm getting on stdout into
> ./debug.log, but gpg2 isn't even creating the file, let alone writing to it.

Well, the default debug output is stderr and not stdout.

To enable --log-file you have to use --batch as well.  Back then when I
added --log-file it was done to be compatible to gpgsm's --log-file,
which is only used in --server mode.  Now, the server mode for gpg2 is
not implemented in a useful way and thus I tried to emulate that
behaviour by requiring --batch.  From gpg2.c:

    /* FIXME: We should use logging to a file only in server mode;
       however we have not yet implemented that.  Thus we try to get
       away with --batch as indication for logging to file required. */

Does that help?

Shalom-Salam,