[Feature request] send an user agent in hkp request

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Jan 30 05:12:56 CET 2013

On Jan 27, 2013, at 5:33 AM, jbar <jeanjacquesbrucker at gmail.com> wrote:

> It should not be a big job, but is could be great to send an HTTP user-agent within hkp request (to search, receive and send keys from/to a key keyserver).
>
> When I checked the log*, I noticed that none are send when using "gpg --send-keys" or "gpg --recv-keys". But that could be usefull to have stat about used GnuPG versions (or... I don't know if PGP did send the user-agent), and why not O.S. too, like we already use to stat with regular Web servers.

Not passing a user-agent is actually intentional behavior.  Unlike some sites which may want to behave differently for different user-agents, you get the same key blob no matter who (or what) is making the request.  Given this, there is no real reason beyond tracking and statistics gathering to send a user-agent string, so we don't, as it is really nobody's business what client you are using.

In fact, there is a TODO in the code to not pass the ASCII armor "Version" field either when sending keys to a keyserver.  I should implement that...

David