file extension confusion: --clearsign makes binary .asc

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 25 17:15:36 CEST 2013

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:05, hans at guardianproject.info said:

> Right, so when you do --clearsign without --armor on a binary file, the

Clearsign always enables the armor option.  The sole purpose of
clearsign is to send human readable (aka plain ascii) text using a
simple ascii encapsulation.  If you don't feed it with ascii (or utf-8)
you still get the clearsign format.  Actually it is not even possible to
use clearsign for non-ascii because the specs demand certain
conversation which are not reversible (line ending, trailing whitespace,
^From).

> How can you use gpg2 or gpgme to detect the contents of a .gpg file?  I'm

I'll answer that in another mail.

Shalom-Salam,