Supporting fixed length keypad input

Achim Pietig achim at pietig.com
Sat Mar 2 15:35:11 CET 2013

Hi,

I was asked for the latest standards relevant for PIN or password input with PINPads:

PC/SC V2: Interoperability Specification for ICCs and Personal Computer Systems, Part 10 IFDs with Secure PIN Entry Capabilities, Revision 2.02.09 November 2012
Secoder 2: from german banks (GeldKarte), not public available

Most standards support the PIN 2 block format as most (banking standard for digits only).
The OpenPGP card uses alphanumeric password, a reason was to use passphrases on the card too.

If the support of readers for alpha passwords with variable length is too complex, a next version of the OpenPGP card may support PIN 2-block too, but then an algorithm ID or a usage flag in Extended
capabilies is needed. What do you think?

Regards,
Achim