How to disable gnome-keyring (was: How to test my build of gpg2?)

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Thu May 9 03:55:45 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-08 at 17:33 -0700, Andrey Jivsov wrote:
> I am getting the error:
> > gpg: agent_genkey failed: Unsupported certificate
> > Key generation failed: Unsupported certificate

If I guess correctly from the error messages, I think that it is GNOME
keyring which runs as gpg-agent on your system.  Please check your
GPG_AGENT_INFO to see which process runs as gpg-agent.

It should be real gpg-agent.

In my environment with GNOME 3, I disable GNOME keyring's feature of
gpg-agent by invoking:

  $ gnome-session-properties

and uncheck "GPG Password Agent" and "SSH Key Agent" buttons.

That's because gpg-agent is more than "GPG Password Agent" now.

In the days with GNOME 2, we could just kill GNOME keyring, but newer
version is now integrated to desktop (such as wifi secrets, etc.),
thus, we can't simply kill it.