unnecessary newline with --print-md

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu May 30 10:12:17 CEST 2013

> gpg --print-md prints the file path and then the requested digest. If
> the file path is "too long" then a newline is inserted after it. That
> is nice if you just want to read the output.

That is the case for more than 10 years:

2003-02-11  David Shaw  <dshaw at jabberwocky.com>

	* g10.c (print_hex, print_mds): Print long hash strings a lot
	neater.  This assumes at least an 80-character display, as there
	are a few other similar assumptions here and there.  Users who
	need unformatted hashes can still use with-colons.  Check that
	SHA384 and 512 are available before using them as they are no
	longer always available.

thus we can't change it.

> --batch and --no-tty. In my experience the usual behaviour of console
> programs

Well, I might be possible to disable the pretty-printing if --batch is
in use.  I am not sure this is worth the effort.

Shalom-Salam,