looking up pgp keys

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Sep 9 02:00:40 CEST 2013

On 09/08/2013 07:29 PM, Tim Prepscius wrote:
> I'm looking at the pgp mit server and the http://pool.sks-keyservers.net.
>
> I do not see a way of forcing the search results format from html into
> something more conducive to machine parsing.  (aka json)
>
> I've tried random things like: &format=json, &fmt=json, &plzcanhavjson=1
> None have worked.  Parsing the html isn't just a big deal, but ....
>
> Does anyone know a way of doing this?

SKS is the dominant implementation of OpenPGP keyserver infrastructure
these days.  most of the servers in the pool you're referring to run
SKS.  So the best place to ask this kind of question is on the  SKS
development list <sks-devel at nongnu.org>.

That said, the "machine-parsable" format is of a much older vintage than
json :)

The spec for HKP suggests that you need to supply the "mr" variable in
the query string:

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shaw-openpgp-hkp-00#section-3.2.1.1

and then read the line-oriented text-based output format:

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shaw-openpgp-hkp-00#section-5

hth,

	--dkg