looking up pgp keys

Tim Prepscius timprepscius at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 04:57:00 CEST 2013

This is also very interesting.

Why is this the model which has been chosen?

For instance, if I wanted to send a message to you, having never met
you before, I could not verify I am sending to you and not a third
party masquerading as you.  I could probably look you up on the net,
read a bunch of web pages, perhaps you've posted your pub key on some
blog or something.  But that takes a human.

If I am a machine, is there anyway to effectively filter out poisoned
results?  (which are not poisoned via MITM but just globally
poisoned)?

Why didn't the mail server people also run local key servers for which
you could only change your key with your password?
(while this would not be any strict guarantee of course, it would
solve the problem of spam, and anyone writing to anything)

--

So basically what I'm getting from this, is if I do this with a machine:

1.  There is no trust.
2.  Changing from one key to another key, if the first key hasn't been
"officially" revoked, is even less trust.
3.  And in fact, even if the first key was revoked, there is no
guarantee that the second key is trustworthy.
4.  I need to continually monitor all keys of my users in the public
key repository, watch for changes.

-tim