looking up pgp keys

Tim Prepscius timprepscius at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 15:09:47 CEST 2013

Yes.. I'm thinking about something similar to the idea implicit in this email.

Basically, I would request that mail servers maintain a "good" list of pgp info.
(and I, myself, my mail-server, would run one)

At random times, or perhaps non random times, Bob's client would
verify that the information the mail server broadcasts is correct.
And the broadcaster (the mail server) would verify that the
information in the global servers is correct against what I know.

It would be incredibly useful to do this through a Tor/Proxy
configuration, so that I know that I am not MITM.  Or at least I know
that the NSA has gone through the trouble of MITM *every* key server.

There are still problems of course, like, if Bob doesn't check
periodically his own broadcast information, there are windows of
opportunity.  But I think this can be fixed if different mail servers
verify each other.  If there are changes, notify e-mail sender (before
actually sending) that the pub key has changed, "Joe's public key has
changed, the public key broadcast SuperMail.com is the same as stored
by MIT and by 3 other mailservers.  Do you want to accept this
change?"

I guess I am attempting to establish a web of trust via servers
checking each other and clients checking servers.

I would also fashion it, so that look ups are all done exactly, and
there is no "listing."  I'm actually sort of surprised there is any
listing mechanism.

Still thinking, but overall I think this is the plan.  Maybe not.  I
need a "machine compatible" method of finding someone's public key.

-tim