looking up pgp keys

John Clizbe John at enigmail.net
Thu Sep 12 01:48:57 CEST 2013

LTim Prepscius wrote:
> Thank you very much for this feed back.
>
> I'm thinking, thinking, thinking...
>

> Here is sort of a naive question:
>
> Why aren't the results from the http://pgp.mit.edu:11371 signed with their key?
> They have an http request but there is no way I can tell if I've been mitm-ed.

As others have replied, it's not the keyserver's responsibility

> I should be able to ask each server I request from, the public key of
> the other servers, and then check the signature of each against each
> other
>
> ??
>
> Is this implemented and I'm missing it somehow?

Aside from what is required to calculate a fingerprint, and in SKS' case the
hash used in reconiliation, there is NO crypto functionality built into the
keyserver software. That responsibility rests with the client software.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net