Prototyping OpenPGP extensions/signing arbitrary packets

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Sat Apr 5 03:33:29 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 10:19:35PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Fri,  4 Apr 2014 10:46, pete at petertodd.org said:
> > For my prototype I have a small Python program that generates the user
> > attribute with version of the python-pgpdump library, modified by me to
>
> I am not sure what you mean by user attribute.  I would use a notation
> to tie something to a user id and let gpg handle the creation
> (--edit-key , notation).

I mean RFC4880 5.12. User Attribute Packet (Tag 17).

I don't think signature notations are really the right meaning here. In
the case of a Bitcoin address I don't see any reason why the address
should be conceptually tied to a specific user-id. Secondly it's
perfectly reasonable to want to revoke a specific bitcoin address,
perhaps because it's not longer used or compromised, similar to how you
might want to revoke a user ID. Notations on signatures conflate a few
different meanings there.

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
0000000000000000f4f5ba334791a4102917e4d3f22f6ad7f2c4f15d97307fe2