FAQ: Re: key length

Achim Pietig achim at pietig.com
Sun Aug 3 09:51:22 CEST 2014

Hi,

there ist still some confusion on the supported key length in the card.
All cards that are sold by Kernelconcepts and have a manufacturer ID from Zeitcontrol (V2.0 and above)
are developed by me and tested by Werner Koch. They support RSA up to 4096 bit - 2048 is the default (still enough for many years).

Older versions of gnupg support only 3072 bit RSA, this was solved in a version last year (2.x branch).

To use other key lenght in the card you have to change the length indicator in the Extended capabilities of the card with the command PUT DATA.
Each key (sign, dec, auth) has its own length and can be set individual, read the specification .

After setting the length indicator, gey generation will use the new value or keys with that value can be imported.

Other cards from different vendors may not support this feature...

Regards,
Achim