FAQ: Re: key length

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 5 09:18:04 CEST 2014

On Sunday 03 August 2014 at 09:51:22, Achim Pietig wrote:
> there ist still some confusion on the supported key length in the card.
> All cards that are sold by Kernelconcepts and have a manufacturer ID from
> Zeitcontrol (V2.0 and above) are developed by me and tested by Werner Koch.
> They support RSA up to 4096 bit - 2048 is the default (still enough for
> many years).
>
> Older versions of gnupg support only 3072 bit RSA, this was solved in a
> version last year (2.x branch).

Thanks for the clarification on the OpenPGP cards!

For the question, though, I wonder if there is a limit on the part of the
communication partner. My choice of key length depends on what my
installation can handle for my signatures and decryption. If my card and
gnupg version can do 4096 bit, this end is okay.

The question is: Are there communication partners who's OpenPGP implementation
would not be able to a) check my signature or b) encrypt to my certificate?
Because this would be the more important reason for making my choice
as I cannot control my communication partners implementation.

Best,
Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner