Whither DNS SRV in 2.1.0?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Dec 10 15:29:06 CET 2014

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 04:46, john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au said:

> I suppose that this regression was not intentional since I cannot find
> any mention of it in the ChangeLog or README or Release Announcement.
> In fact, the only mention I can find in ChangeLog is:

The thing is that the keyserver support has been completely redone.  Thus
it is not a regression but a new bug.  Before 2.1 we let the DNS figure
out the address to use from a round-robin pool.  With 2.1 dirmngr builds
a list of all host in the pool and selects one randomly.  This allows to
mark unresponsive hosts as dead and move on to another one - with < 2.1
you were stuck with the selected keyserver as long as the DNS decided.

Despite all the beta version released this year, this has not been
tested very much.  We need to sort out these problems with the next or
next+1 release.

> Will SRV support be provided in later 2.1 releases or will it be removed
> altogether?

Yes, SRV record will be supported.

Shalom-Salam,