gpg: return value, validity vs trust

Anish R Athalye aathalye at mit.edu
Sun Dec 14 00:25:17 CET 2014

What I meant by valid is that given the key, the signature is made correctly (not forged or something like that). So I guess I’ll call that “correct” from now on.

What I mean by trusted is that the public key making the signature is trusted. This can be verified by checking explicitly assigned user trust or by checking it using a web of trust model.

When most people check signatures, they want a correct signature made by a trusted party — a signature that is “valid". That’s what many seem to expect when using the `gpg` command line tool to check signatures. However, the `gpg` tool checks only for “correct” (and outputs a message to stderr if the signature in untrusted, but still returns 0 for success). And it seems pretty difficult to check for trust (there’s no clean API for this that I found).

–Anish