gpg --refresh with large keyrings and hkps in 2.1.1

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Dec 18 15:57:55 CET 2014

On 12/18/2014 04:10 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> What do you think of having a queue in dirmngr with keys to be refreshed
> and dirmngr can handle that in its spare time.  Either calling gpg from
> time to time to import the refreshed keys or - better - add a new
> command to gpg to fetch those retrieved keys from dirmngr.

I like this idea -- it sounds similar to parcimonie and its variants:

  https://gaffer.ptitcanardnoir.org/intrigeri/code/parcimonie/

  https://github.com/EtiennePerot/parcimonie.sh

Having something like this behavior built into a core GnuPG component
seems like a good thing.

> Such a queuing mechanism would also come handy when implementing a GNUnet
> based key retrieval which would anyway take longer than the direct
> access fro a fast keyserver.

yep, and a simple configuration option would be an easy way to help
people keep their keys up-to-date, instead of asking them to remember to
run --refresh at $some_interval.

	--dkg