gpgme "Locate engine names only at runtime and prefer GnuPG-2" commit break Android

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Feb 20 20:19:34 CET 2014

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 17:43, hans at guardianproject.info said:

> I understand that gpgme is a wrapper.  The issue is having an Android wrapper

No, GPGME is not a wrapper.  GPGME is an API to several crypto
protocols.  The current implementation makes use of GnuPG.

> So I would like to discuss what needs to happen in GnuPG itself to enable us
> to write such a thing.  This architecture would also work in other situation,

For example EasyPG resembles the GPGME API for EMACS but nevertheless
has lots of problems incompatibilities with newer GnuPG versions.  I
consider it better to use GPGME because we can guarantee that the GPGME
API stays stable and that new stable feature of GnuPG will soon be
reflected by the GPGME API.

> for example a python wrapper of gpg-agent.

gpg-agent is not enough.  It is a useful tool but I guess it does only
make sense if you are using gpg or gpgsm anyway.  And then you should
use GPGME which also provides an easy to use interface to gpg-agent.

Shalom-Salam,