gpgme "Locate engine names only at runtime and prefer GnuPG-2" commit break Android

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Feb 21 13:26:13 CET 2014

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:38, hans at guardianproject.info said:

>>From what I've seen, gpgme is a wrapper that calls the GnuPG command line
> tools (gpg2, gpgsm, gpg-agent, etc) to do the actual work.  That arrangement
> will always be fragile on Android.  That arrangement will also mean it will be

What you are saying is that Android is more fragile and hardder to work
with than the ancient Windows Mobile 6 which works very well using gpgme
despit ethat it is really limited in almost all areas.

> very difficult to make native-feeling APIs in languages like Java and Python.

We have several language bindings both high and low-level.  So I don't
understand your reasoning.  After all GnuPG is not different from GPGME
- it uses Unix domain sockets and pipes for IPC as well.  Java bindings
are available for 10 years of even longer.

Salam-Shalom,