usage flags for bitcoin addresses on OpenPGP keys [was: Re: human readable key algorithm]

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 00:09:22 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
<dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>  I wonder if gpg should
> expose a "bitcoin address" capability (within --expert mode) and set
> such a subkey up as having no usage flags set, and a notation like:
>
>  extended-usage at gnupg.org=bitcoin
>
> in human-readable form, gpg could indicate this as "Usage: B"
>
> what do y'all think?
>
>         --dkg

Yes. Certainly think this should be a notation and not a 'flag'.

I'm not even sure that gnupg needs to do much more than show the
notation in the standard way it would for any notation. Whatever is
added now will need supporting for years, and I'm not convinced myself
that Bitcoin is more than a bubble. Even if it isn't, gnupg is hardly
a primary tool for handling these keys, and it isn't reasonable to
think that gnupg should add special support for every new digital
currency.

Just my (pun intended) $0.02