Keyserver rejection filter and signing subkeys

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Wed Jul 30 11:00:08 CEST 2014

On 07/30/2014 10:22 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:11,
> kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com said:
>
>> Is this something that should be considered a regression, or do
>> we simply mark it as per design and that the primary key ID
>> should always
>
> Yes, that is a regression.  It would also render the
> --auto-key-retrieve option useless if a signing subkey has been
> used.
>
> To fix that we need to pass the keyblock and not just the key to
> the filter function.  However this partly defeats the purpose of
> the filter if a a faked subkey has been attached to a key and
> uploaded to the keyserver.  As long as the keyserver does not
> verify the key binding you would import a foreign key while
> verifying a signature done with the faked subkey.

Indeed, and the purpose of the filter is partly to protect against
mallicious keyservers, so even if the "good" keyservers implements
this[1]  it can't be trusted.

> Technically the printing of the fingerprint is not done by the
> signature verification part.  If we want to make that the default
> we I would suggest to have something like this:

That looks good indeed

> gpg: Signature made Wed Jul 30 10:08:40 2014 CEST using DSA key ID
> 77F95F95 gpg: Primary key fingerprint: 8061 5870 F5BA D690 3336
> 86D0 F2AD 85AC 1E42 B367 gpg:      Subkey fingerprint: E4B8 68C8
> F90C 8964 B5AF  9DBC 4F05 40D5 77F9 5F95

> the line will be too long, though.  Reformatting that for 2.1 ?

How about breaking the fprs over two lines? as long as they are
stacked up properly it'd look good still.

Endnotes:
[1] not likely for SKS at least as it currently does no signature
verification and the performance hit could be quite large
- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
Blog: http://blog.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
Ad astra per aspera
To the stars through thorns