building gnupg master from git (oddities and workarounds)

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jun 25 23:03:41 CEST 2014

I'm trying to build gnupg from the master branch in git, on an
up-to-date debian unstable system.  I've read README.GIT.

I'm on commit b5f95c1.

I build for the first time with:

 ./autogen.sh --force

which tells me i should run:

  ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-symcryptrun --enable-mailto --enable-gpgtar && make

i run that command, and ./configure runs for a while before returning
with an error:

configure: checking system features for estream
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: cannot find input file: `m4/Makefile.in'

I can work around this with:

 automake --add-missing

and then re-running:

 ./autogen.sh --force

the ./configure command now completes, but produces the following odd message:

 configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-mailto

and then make runs to completion.

Perhaps "automake --add-missing" should be run early on autogen.sh?

i'm not sure what to recommend about --enable-mailto.

    --dkg