key length

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Jun 25 23:33:37 CEST 2014

> we (GPGTools) had a brief meetup with Nico (he’s contributing to
> Enigmail) today. He suggested raising the key length default to 4096bit.
> The idea came via a suggestion from Rüdiger Weiß on the 30C3 congress
> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhCDJ_LVuY).

As Werner himself posted to GnuPG-Users just yesterday, 4096-bit is
wildly unnecessary for the vast majority of users.  In fact, there's a
FAQ on it:

https://www.gnupg.org/faq/gnupg-faq.html#no_default_of_rsa4096

Please don't override the GnuPG defaults unless you have a clear and
compelling reason for why RSA-2048 (the GnuPG default) is inappropriate
for your users.