Dirmngr now supports hkps

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Thu May 15 17:50:17 CEST 2014

On 05/15/2014 12:07 PM, Werner Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the comments.  To get things straight, let me summarize
> my understanding:
>
> For plain HTTP:
>
> - No change to the current code
>
> or
>
> - Resolve the name while following CNAME records to get a list of
> IP addresses.  Then connect any server at its IP address but use
> the canonical name of the pool (the one which yields the AAAA
> records) for the Host: header.
>

> For HTTPS:
>
> - Resolve the name while following CNAME records to get a list of
> IP addresses.  Then connect any server at its IP address but use
> the canonical name of the pool (the one which yields the AAAA
> records) for the Host: header.  Use that host: Header name also for
> SNI.
>

> In all cases make this the default behaviour if the hkp or the hkps
> is used for the keyserver URL.  If http or https is used, do the
> same or use a different approach (e.g. let the DNS resolver
> decide)?

I'd expect the same issues wrt Host: (for virtual hosting sites) for
http and https, as well as SNI for the latter for these protocols as
for hkp(s). The rest sounds good to me.

> Use of SRV records is subject to bug 1447 and will be fixed in a
> second step?

This is indeed currently disabled in the pool so it won't create an
issue in the short term and can be postponed to get a working beta out
from my point of view.

- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
Blog: http://blog.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
"We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there
that needs to be done."
(Alan Turing)