gnu privacy handbook move to git?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 24 10:17:02 CET 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 23:52, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> I notice from https://gnupg.org/download/cvs_access.html that the GNU
> Privacy Handbook (GPH) is still hosted via cvs instead of git:

As you noted with your other mail, this is probably out of date.

> Is the GPH still maintained?  If so, is this something that needs to be
> moved to git so that future contributions use the same workflow?  I can
> do the initial conversion if that would be useful.

Sure, it needs to be moved to git.  I have an established workflow for
this.  I also think that it would be good to have the GPH in the
gnupg-doc repo as a central place for all (online) documentation.

The problem with GPH is the license (GFDL) which I do not like.  About
the same time last year we started a discussion on how to update the
GPH.  The FSF is the copyright holder and as you can imagine, it is hard
to convince RMS to switch to CC-by-SA.  Even without having this
notorious invariant section I would not suggest to put any work into it
before the license has been changed.  Fortunately the original author,
Mike Ashley, agreed to terminate his copyright assignment and to
re-license the GPH if that would be helpful.

IIRC, the discussion stopped because I had to take care of the Goteo
campaign and after that this issue went asleep.

I also think it would be good to merge parts of the GPH with the Gpg4win
Compendium.  The latter is also GFDLed but I reached informal agreement
with the copyright holders to re-license it.  The formal parts need to
be done, though.

There are also a couple of other documents which would benefit from
being all synchronized.

Now these delays indicate that my workload is too high to diligently
take care of the documentation.  It would be good to have someone who
would take over responsibility for the documentation.

See http://wiki.gnupg.org/documentation

Shalom-Salam,