updating translations from non-UTF-8 to UTF-8

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Nov 26 14:41:33 CET 2014

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 04:12, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> We just got some Spanish translations for GnuPG 1.4.x and 2.0.x reported
> to the Debian Project by Manuel "Venturi" Porras Peralta.

I pushed the update for 2.0.  The next time I work on 1.4 I will update
it too.

> I think the right way to apply them in git is to convert po/es.po to
> UTF-8 in one commit and then to drop the new file in place, something

Good idea.

>  git checkout STABLE-BRANCH-1-4
>  iconf -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 < po/es.po | sed s/ISO-8859-1/UTF-8/ > po/es.po.utf8

  msgconv -t utf-8 es.po >es.po-new

is easier ;-)

>  git commit --author 'Manuel "Venturi" Porras Peralta <venturi at openmailbox.org>'

BTW, if you use Emacs with an older Magit do not forget to eval

(defun reset-git-env ()
  "Reset the environ vaiables used by GIT.  This is required to
fix a bug in Magit which does not reset them after a rewrite."
  (interactive)
  (let ((list '("GIT_AUTHOR_DATE" "GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL" "GIT_AUTHOR_MAME")))
    (while list
      (setenv (car list))
      (setq list (cdr list)))))

after this or are rewrite operation.  Otherwise all following commits
are wrongly attributed.

> Please let me know if these are applied upstream!

David Prévot also tracks them; I notified him.

Shalom-Salam,