--export-options export-reset-subkey-passwd in gpg 2.1.x

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 9 08:13:26 CEST 2014

On Thu,  9 Oct 2014 01:31, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> It's not clear to me what the "specialized secret key export tool" is --
> does this tool exist or is it hypothetical at the moment?

Hypothetical.  I guess I was only too lazy to implement that given that
I only had the use case in mind for which I created it.

The real problem is that we can't export with a passphrase right now.
gpg-agent would need to be extended to export the key without a
passphrase.

>   -c (require confirmation -- gpg-agent accepts but does not honor this flag)

This used to work but I have not tested it recently:

      prompt = xtryasprintf (_("An ssh process requested the use of key%%0A"
                               "  %s%%0A"
                               "  (%s)%%0A"
                               "Do you want to allow this?"),

>   -d (delete key -- gpg-agent accepts but does not honor this flag)
>   -D (delete all keys -- gpg-agent rejects this flag with an error)

Indeed the semantics are different: gpg-agent stores the key permanently
and thus all keys are always available.  The passphrase chaching comes
on top of it.

>   -t N (limit key lifetime to N seconds -- gpg-agent accepts but does not honor this flag)

That could be translated into: store a default caching time for ssh use
with that key.  For example by putting that into ~/.gnupg/sshcontrol

>   -x (lock agent with password -- gpg-agent accepts but does not honor this flag)

Doesn't match the way gpg-agent works.

Salam-Shalom,