gpg-agent 2.1.x interop with gpg 1.4.x

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 9 21:28:14 CEST 2014

On Thu,  9 Oct 2014 20:09, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> not expecting to use $GPG_AGENT_INFO at all any more, so gpg-agent does
> not bother exporting any environment variables.

It still prints some for --enable-ssh-support.

>  2) have gpg-agent 2.1 export
> GPG_AGENT_INFO=/home/username/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent:0:1 even though gpg 2.1
> doesn't care about that environment variable

> That said, if we aim to support mixed installations (apparently we do
> for now), and people want to use gpg 1.4.x with the agent (they
> certainly do), i think option (2) is the way to go.

So we need to take care of the user's login scripts but we can't change
them.  Changing gpg-1 to autostart the agent and use a fixed socket is a
bit too much work.  Seems you are right.  Unless you want to install a
wrapper for gpg-agent to do just this.

So what shall we do about --write-env-file?

Shalom-Salam,