Disable importing V3 public keys from keyservers

Dan Haskin djhaskin987 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 21:58:25 CEST 2014

It seems to me that if people want to read their old mail, they can simply
use GPG 1.4 . It feels like a lot of effort is being put into making sure
2.1 (mostly) works with GPG 1.4 . Even if it doesn't, it would not be hard
for someone to use GPG 1.4 to import their old keys, decrypt their mail,
and encrypt it using a new home folder and a new, better key.

v3 was deprecated back in version 1.4. This is the way it works in most
modern software <http://semver.org/>: the old feature is deprecated back in
the previous major release (1), and is erased in the next major release
(2). The DEPRECATED message in 1.4 is clear. People therefore have known
that they should probably switch away from it.  Users have been given
adequate time to re-encrypt their old mail, since this deprecation was done
a long time ago. Further, 1.4 still works and is still actively maintained,
making it easy for them to re-encrypt their old mail even after the 2.1
release.  I feel like removing it completely in 2.1 is the way to go.

Daniel Jay Haskin
http://djhaskin987.github.io/