Why 2.1 is delayed for so long

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Sep 23 17:36:44 CEST 2014

> Yes, it would seem you're not learning *enough* from this history.
> New laws are being passed that make it legal (hah!) for intelligence
> services to hack into computers. I would rather different keys for
> different purposes be separated, and my master key moved offline. If
> my signature key gets compromised, at least they can only write
> emails claiming to be me, not sign fake keys on my behalf.

And for you, that makes perfect sense.  But that's not the normal use
case, mostly because the difficulties that arise from using an offline
master key are large enough to make GnuPG an insurmountable obstacle for
users.

GnuPG already has a learning curve like the Matterhorn.  Let's not make
it harder or worse, okay?

I know, I know.  "But my proposal doesn't make it any worse!  It only
makes it possible for those who want to do this, to do this, without any
tweaking of their certificates!"  Sure.  But to reach that one user in a
thousand who wants to store a certification key offline, you're talking
about making the system more complicated for the other nine hundred
ninety-nine users.  I don't think that's a win.  I think that's a loss.

> In the future, it should be easy to put your master key offline.

An excellent observation.  (No, I'm not being sarcastic.)  So why not
work on that problem?  If you come up with an easy way for people to do
it, then I'm sure Werner will re-evaluate his decision to not support this.

> So it is better to
> prepare for that situation now, instead of asking everyone to
> generate a new key and refresh everyone else's key when the time
> comes.

It is amazing how many things that "everyone knew" would come to pass
never came to pass at all.  It is good to be cautious about writing code
to support things that "everyone knows" will come to pass.  Most of it
turns out to be code written in support of vaporware.

> Be careful what you wish for.
> http://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/0210.1/1834.html

Not sarcastic, but humorous, yes --

Holy crap, you mean that by telling you 'no' to your idea we could wind
up getting something as neat, as cool, and as genuinely useful as Git?
Man.  Umm.  How am I supposed to ... ah, right.

NNN   NN   OOOOO    !!!
NNNN  NN OOO   OOO  !!!
NN NN NN OO     OO  !!!
NN  NNNN OOO   OOO
NN   NNN   OOOOO     !

Implicitly threatening to replace GnuPG with something better?  Man, you
must be new here.  This is the sort of thing that leads me to dance
around hollering, "Bring it, O Lord!  Let Thy Kingdom come!"

GnuPG does a pretty good job in a pretty hard area, but like any
software project it has a finite lifespan.  Someday it will be
unmaintained.  All we can hope for is that what comes after GnuPG learns
from GnuPG's experiences, that the code is free and respects people's
rights to learn and understand and share, and that it is more useful and
better for people than GnuPG was.  If you can deliver on that promise
I'm pretty sure you'll have a long line of people waiting to buy you a
beer, and I'll be at the front with the Dortmunder.  :)