Why 2.1 is delayed for so long

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Sep 23 20:33:48 CEST 2014

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 17:36, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

>> In the future, it should be easy to put your master key offline.
>
> An excellent observation.  (No, I'm not being sarcastic.)  So why not
> work on that problem?  If you come up with an easy way for people to do
> it, then I'm sure Werner will re-evaluate his decision to not support this.

I will definitely do that as soon as a cheap device is available which
can be used to hold and somehow backup the offline key.  Using an > 15
year old laptop for this task like me, can't be suggested to average
users.

I doubt that it is currently possible to design, produce, and sell such
a device.  It is just not sexy enough for a crowdfunding campaign ("just
for storing some part of the key - why can't I use my smartphone for
it"?).  Such a device needs to be dedicated and resistant to remote
exploits (USB stack, side channels) and may not have any extra gadgets.
It needs a little screen and a small keyboard, though.

Salam-Shalom,