[patch] do not print version string by default

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Apr 7 19:36:32 CEST 2015

On Mon,  6 Apr 2015 23:57, infinity0 at pwned.gg said:

> What technical reason is there to *not* accept this patch?

This has been discussed a wile back when we changed from printing the
full version number to only the major version.  We want to be able to
research whether 1.x is still in active use.

If you don't agree to it please use --no-emit-version.  If you have
security concerns you should use a 2.x version.  Although we backport
important things to 1.4, the 2.1 code base is much more matured and thus
less prone to bugs.

Shalom-Salam,