Improved fingerprint representation

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Wed Apr 8 23:16:27 CEST 2015

reflum,

On Wed, 2015-04-08 at 22:25 +0200, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Most of you are probably familiar with the diceware password generator
> [1]. [...]

> While doing this, it occured to me that such a list could be used to
> display fingerprints.  Personally, I often have trouble comparing the
> 40 hexadecimal characters on the piece of paper with the 40
> hexadecimal characters on the screen.
>
> I whipped together a little awk script that converts fingerprints
> using this list (I just use the first 1024 entries, i.e., 10-bit
> chunks).  In terms of the number of characters, the phrases are about
> twice as long as a fingerprint, but they seem to me to be much easier
> to read aloud and compare.  Here are a few examples:
>
>   8061 5870 F5BA D690 3336 86D0 F2AD 85AC 1E42 B367
>
>   grow heat hijack corn music effect adult partner
>   high custom capture evil marry funeral car prison
>   [...]
>

> (It now occurs to me that this is probably also a good way to display
> ssh fingerprints.)

> [...]

> What do others think?

Just a little pointer to 'Bubble Babble':
'In computing, Bubble Babble is a binary data encoding designed by Antti
Huima. This encoding uses alternation of consonants and vowels to encode
binary data to pseudowords that can be pronounced more easily than
arbitrary lists of hexadecimal digits.'[0]

If someone wants to play with it, there is also a Perl Module[1].

[0] http://bohwaz.net/archives/web/Bubble_Babble.html
[1] http://search.cpan.org/~btrott/Digest-BubbleBabble-0.02/lib/Digest/BubbleBabble.pm

--
Philipp.