Improved fingerprint representation

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Apr 9 10:14:28 CEST 2015

On Thu,  9 Apr 2015 00:18, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> I think you've reinvented the PGP Biometric Word List.  I'd much rather
> see GnuPG use the BWL than this, if for no other reason than

This discussion pops up every few years.  We recently had it again at
cryptography:

http://lists.randombit.net/pipermail/cryptography/2015-February/007072.html

the usual outcome of these discussions is that the word lists are fine
for English speaking people but problematic for the rest of the world.
This problem is very old and the reason why more than 50 years ago the
ICAO came up with a spelling alphabet to be used on noisy channels and
between people of different mother tongue.

  $ gpg --fingerprint --with-icao-spelling wheatstone
  pub   ed25519/E3FDFF218E45B72B 2015-02-18 [expires: 2025-02-15]
        Key fingerprint = C1D3 4B69 219E 4AEE C0BA  1C21 E3FD FF21 8E45 B72B
                          "Charlie One Delta Three  Four Bravo Six Niner
                           Two One Niner Echo  Four Alfa Echo Echo
                           Charlie Zero Bravo Alfa  One Charlie Two One
                           Echo Three Foxtrot Delta  Foxtrot Foxtrot Two One
                           Eight Echo Four Five  Bravo Seven Two Bravo"
  uid               [ultimate] Werner Koch (wheatstone commit signing)

agreed, that is longer than a word list but easier to pronounce and
understand by most people.  And the alphabet is easy to learn so that
the new gpg option is not always needed.

Salam-Shalom,