Improved fingerprint representation

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Apr 9 13:37:03 CEST 2015

On Thu,  9 Apr 2015 10:58, neal at walfield.org said:

> The encodings clearly have different trade offs.  ICAO is easier for
> more people.  But, it is also grounded in English and only really
> generalizes to Western European languages.  Thus, it also excludes a
> huge (but slightly smaller) portion of the world's population.

Hwoever it is the world standard in aviation and between HAMs (radio
amateurs).  Thus possible to learn for everyone who is able to type gpg
--some-weird-option-name ;-).

> Since gpg already has a --with-icao-spelling option, how about also
> supporting a --with-word-spelling or --with-bwl-spelling?

The reason why I added --with-icao-spelling is that I often noticed
during key signing parties that some folks don't know the ICAO and had
problems to recite their fingerprint.

For another word list I would like to wait for the outcome of the just
started OpenPGP update discussions. We will for sure come up with a new
fingerprint format and that may then also define an alternate
representation to be be used over phone or on flag poles.  The new
fingerprints will likely be larger than 20 bytes and it may be useful to
replace the hex notation by a base-32 notation.