Use of pkg-config

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Apr 29 11:54:26 CEST 2015

On Wed, 2014-05-14 at 19:33 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2014 17:59, richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org said:
>
> > Its worth highlighting that pkg-config has now standardised on using its
> > own internal glib code so it no longer has that dependency, its handled
>
> Okay.
>
> > of sense. Since that is now addressed does that help improve the
> > situation to a point its use could be reconsidered?
>
> Request an addition to POSIX and I will reconsider it.
>
> > Alternatively, could pkg-config be added as an option? It could be used
> > by default and things could then fall back to the -config scripts?
>
> No.  The configure script along with the autoconf macros is how the
> gnupg related stuff is to be build.  If there is a problem, please file
> a bug.  Frankly, I don't see the reason for the request to use
> pkg-config.  The *-config script approach is much more flexible and
> easier to maintain.

This discussion was nearly a year ago. I just wanted to mention that
this hasn't been forgotten, we continue to patch the gnupg toolset to
use pkg-config instead of the -config files. At this point its the last
piece of the operating systems we build using -config files.

I live in hope that at some point the issue can be reconsidered.

Cheers,

Richard