Problems with HKPS pools (GPG 2.1.1)

Adam Ehlers Nyholm Thomsen adament at adament.net
Fri Feb 13 13:30:50 CET 2015

Dear GnuPG developers,

I tried setting my keyserver to hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net and most
times when trying to refresh keys I got:

gpg: refreshing 12 keys from hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpg: keyserver refresh failed: General error

Activating debugging for dirmngr there seemed to be a number of
different reasons for this, depending on which server dirmngr chose to
contact.  However most of these seemede to be related to hostname
verification.  Would it be possible to give a more meaningful error
message so that this would be clearer to the user?

Another seemed to be that dirmngr insisted on contacting the same server
the whole time.  Is this intended behaviour?  Would it maybe be
reasonable for dirmngr after a certain number of hostname verification
errors to give up and try another server?

I ended up killing gpg-agent and dirmngr and relaunching them a number
of times. Every once in a while it would pick a good server and then
everything worked.

Regards,
Adam Ehlers Nyholm Thomsne