please change the default hashing algorithm

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Jul 15 00:23:41 CEST 2015

> Yeah, but that's what gets generated when you override the homedir
> to an empty directory that doesn't have a gpg.conf file at all.
> Hence that is the default.

That's the default for certificate preferences (the preferences that get
placed on a newly-generated certificate).  That's not the same thing as
the default personal-*-preferences.

They may be the same, they may be different -- but internally to GnuPG,
they are two different sets of preferences, so you can't point to
certificate preferences and say "this is what's used as default
personal-*-preferences".

> Really?  I distinctly recall you recommending TWOFISH to me on
> gnupg-users some time ago

If I did, I was absolutely in error to do so, and you should've known
better than to believe me!

I like TWOFISH for reasons that are pretty much irrelevant here.  It's
enough to say that I think TWOFISH is a better choice for me.  Those
last two words are important.  My reasons probably don't apply to you.
After all -- you're not me.

Further, I'm not a cryppie.  I don't know where people get the idea that
I am one.  A decade ago in graduate school I did some graduate-level
work with cryptologic research, but I haven't kept current since then.

Nobody should trust the judgment of an ex-cryppie who hasn't kept
current over the judgment of the professional cryptologic community.
*Nobody*.  If you think my commentary on cryptology is interesting, I'm
happy.  If you think it's definitive, you're wrong.  :)