gnome keyring & gpg agent

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Jun 5 03:39:21 CEST 2015

On Thu 2015-05-14 14:34:40 -0400, Neal H. Walfield wrote:

> Is it possible to fix this issue in Debian Stable (e.g., in the next
> point release)?

This is a lot of change to push into a stable point release, so i'm not
sure that it'll happen.  The first step would be to make sure that it's
all resolved in unstable, and then we can look into what parts are
possible for stable.

> So far, I've identified these requirements:
>
>   - Adding a new pinentry-gnome3 package with the yet-to-be-released
>     pinentry with Gnome3 support.

This is done in debian unstable, with pinentry 0.9.3.  yay!

>   - An update to GPG with the relatively small change.

I'm not sure exactly which change to gpg this is intended to be.  do you
have a suggestion?

>   - An update to Gnome-Keyring that disables it GPG Agent proxy.

Maybe we need to offer them a patch.  the goal here is just to disable
gnome-keyring's gpg-agent proxy implementation by default, right?

>   - Make Gnome Keyring depend on pinentry-gnome3.

I've opened https://bugs.debian.org/787786 for this.

     --dkg