Pinentry linking to libassuan?

Daiki Ueno ueno at gnu.org
Fri Jun 5 12:28:44 CEST 2015

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> The question is whether we should keep on using our much stripped down
> versions of libassuan and libgpg-error or switch over to use libassuan
> and libgpg-error directly.  In fact, both libraries are required by
> GnuPG itself and also be any software using GPGME.  Thus we can expect
> that such a change won't introduce any new platform problems.

I think using proper libassuan would make sense, for the Emacs Pinentry
at least.  Given the easiness of writing an Assuan server in Elisp (with
`make-network-process'), what really needed is for Pinentry protocol
messages to be directed to the socket which Emacs listens.  If we can
use assuan_socket_connect (not available in the stripped down version)
for that, the Pinentry-side code could eliminate all the complex stuff,
including escaping and buffering in pinentry/pinentry-emacs.c.

(Thanks Neal for the review, will update the patch soon, in any case.)

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno