pinentry-curses can be forced to loop endlessly

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Fri Jun 12 09:05:56 CEST 2015

Hello,

Thank you for your report on 2014-08-25.

On 08/25/2014 10:17 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> the bug i report here was not present in v2.0.24 (i think, looking
> at the ArchLinux package history [1]) but then came into existence
> with v2.0.25 and is still present in the new package that uses
> v2.0.26.
>
>   [1]
> <https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/log/trunk?h=packages/gnupg>
>
> I am still (see ArchLinux bug report [2]) too lazy to find
> a different way to reproduce it, so this example assumes the
> default ArchLinux mailx(1) (v14.7.2 or later) (or CRUX-Linux or
> Void Linux packages; or download S-nail directly [3]):
>
>   [2] <https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/41193>

Since it's still opened in the bug tracker, I'm writing to you.

I think that this is the issue of pinentry program.  I couldn't
reproduce it in my environment of today, I checkd the pinentry commit
log.

I believe that the particular issue was handled by this commit.
So, I think it was fixed already (in 0.9.0 or later).

    commit 3803fd15942f2f25108e400be6cd6faef791c8f7
    Author: Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
    Date:   Fri Feb 14 12:58:38 2014 +0100

        Check if we are on tty before initializing curses.

        * pinentry/pinentry-curses.c (dialog_run): Check stant stdin and stout
        are connected to ttys.

        --

        When we did not have a ttyname we just used stdin/out without checking
        if it's a proper TTY or a pipe. In some cases this can cause endless

        This commit changes behaviour so that if stdin/out is not tty and no
        ttyname is specified we error-out with errno set to ENOTTY

Pinentry is under active development now.  Please try newer version.