pinentry loopback mode & password repeat

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Fri Jun 12 20:48:46 CEST 2015

Hi Ben,

In issue #1976 (https://bugs.gnupg.org/gnupg/issue1976), Daiki reports
that GnuPG 2.1 asks for the passphrase twice when encrypting in
symmetric mode.  I came up with a simple patch to always disable
repeat mode when doing symmetric encryption.

My question is directed to you, since you requested the pinentry
loopback mode.  Will this change break any behavior in your software?

Does anyone else see any problem with unconditional disabling repeat
mode for all symmetric operations independent of the pinentry mode?

Thanks,

:) Neal