MIME structure of encrypted mail and subkeys (was: Memory Hole discussion...)

Bjarni Runar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Tue Jun 30 16:41:45 CEST 2015

Hi Werner!

I like your proposal - moving towards a world where encrypted or signed
messages can be broken up into smaller units is desirable for many
reasons.

The subkey idea is an interesting twist on that, since it allows
different security levels for different parts of the message. It feels a
bit complicated, but it has potential. Very interesting!

Of course, as discussed in April, as soon as the message is broken up
into multiple parts like this, we start to want a summary of some sort
(a manifest), so you know whether you have the entire message or only
part of it. Whether it's 2 parts or 20 parts doesn't matter much, the
problems and solutions are the same: we need a manifest.

This manifest doesn't need to be complicated. It could be something as
simple as a few X-headers in the Memory Hole part, each header
describing an expected MIME part (things like mime-type, filename,
sha256 sum and content-ID for linking).

 - Bjarni

--
Sent using Mailpile, Free Software from www.mailpile.is