gpg 2.1 gpg-agent over ssh

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Mar 29 16:07:14 CEST 2015

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:40, infinity0 at pwned.gg said:

> What is this supposed to do? Also, I don't *want* my SSH session to be
> associated with X. Ideally gpg-agent should pop up a pinentry-curses
> dialog box. $DISPLAY isn't even set.

$ gpg-connect-agent 'help updatestartuptty' /bye
# UPDATESTARTUPTTY
#
# Set startup TTY and X11 DISPLAY variables to the values of this
# session.  This command is useful to pull future pinentries to
# another screen.  It is only required because there is no way in the
# ssh-agent protocol to convey this information.
OK

Thus it is for X and curses.

> It doesn't, though. I am physically at both sessions at the same time.

I don't know.  You may want to install a wrapper pinentry to see what's
going on.  Something like this:

#!/bin/sh

printenv >/tmp/pinentry.env
#exec strace -o /tmp/pinentry.trc -e read=0 /usr/local/bin/pinentry-gtk-2 -e -d "$@" 2>/tmp/pinentry.err